UPDATED September 17, 2020
Thank you for being part of the Cara community and for your commitment to supporting our job seekers who are ready to lift themselves out of poverty and homelessness. Like you, we continue to monitor the spread of COVID-19 and are keeping a close eye on official information and guidance from the CDC, WHO, and both the State of Illinois and the City of Chicago.
We are committed to maintaining the safety, health, and well-being of our participants, staff, volunteers, and community at large. To that end, the following actions are being taken, effective immediately:
• Cara’s offices in downtown and south side Chicago are in the third stage of a four-stage re-opening plan. Until further notice, we are only allowing a limited number of staff members and participants at our campuses for trainings. Guests are welcome by appointment only.
• While we are providing limited in-person programming during this time, we have augmented our services to continue supporting participants in their job search through virtual coaching services via social media platforms, phone, email, IM, and text. As of this update, Cara participants have been placed into more than 367 permanent or temporary jobs since the city’s Stay at Home Order was enacted.
• Cleanslate and Cara Connects assignments are in operation, with health and safety protocols in compliance with guidelines from the CDC and CDPH. Our administrative teams will continue to work remotely and our participants will continue to receive virtual engagement from our program support team at Cara during this order.
• Our recruitment and admissions team continues to work with and on-board prospective Cara participants in a virtual capacity. Anyone interested in joining Cara can reach out to 312-798-3309 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Our Summer Social pivoted to a free virtual event. You can re-watch the social event of the summer at www.carasummersocial.com.
• Our Cara Plus team is working virtually with our affiliate and Institute partners in cities around the country. Follow Cara Plus on LinkedIn for access to practitioner resources and announcements on upcoming webinars, Cara Institutes, and other learning opportunities.
• Given these special circumstances, we need your support more than ever. As you are able, please consider making a gift of emergency assistance to ensure we are able to continue seeing our participants and the programs that directly support them. We truly appreciate your concern and commitment during these unprecedented times, and we wish you well.
Our leadership will continue monitoring all news about the Coronavirus, particularly as it relates to its spreading in Chicago and any correlation these cases may have with our community. We will continue sending updates to our entire community via email, on our website, and through our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. Please be sure to follow these accounts for updates.
Thank you again for being part of this beautiful community. In friendship and good health,
Your friends at Cara
P.S. Below, are resources and recommendations to stay informed about COVID-19.
Chicago Department of Public Health
Illinois Department of Public Health
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
World Health Organization